This is the best vodka sauce any of us in the test kitchen have ever had. It’s creamy but bright. Here’s the secret to how we made our favorite Penne Alla Vodka recipe at Delish.
Provided by: EasyRecipesCooking.com
Categories: vegetarian,dinner party,dinner
Total time: 35 minutes
Prep time: 5 minutes
Cook time: 0S
Yield: 4 servings
|3 tbsp. butter|
|1 shallot, minced|
|2 cloves garlic, minced|
|1/2 c. tomato paste|
|1/2 tsp. crushed red pepper flakes|
|2 tbsp. vodka|
|1 lb. tubed pasta, such as penne or rigatoni|
|1/2 c. heavy cream|
|1/2 c. freshly grated Parmesan, plus more for serving|
|Basil, for serving|
- In a large skillet over medium heat, melt butter. Add shallot and garlic and cook, stirring frequently, until softened, 4 to 5 minutes.
- Add tomato paste and red pepper flakes and cook, stirring frequently, until paste has coated shallots and garlic and is beginning to darken, 5 minutes.
- Add vodka to pot and stir to incorporate, scraping up any browned bits from the bottom of the pot. Turn off heat.
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil and cook pasta until al dente. Reserve 2 cups of pasta water before draining.
- Return sauce to medium heat and add 1/4 cup of pasta water and heavy cream, stirring to combine. Add half the Parmesan and stir until melted. Turn off heat and stir in cooked pasta. Fold in remaining Parmesan, adding more pasta water (about a tablespoon at a time) if the sauce is looking dry. Season with salt if needed. Serve topped with more Parmesan and torn basil leaves.