This hearty chicken stew for Pan con Pollo, made with rotisserie chicken, is a one-pot meal that can be on the table in under an hour to make a flavorful smothered chicken Sandwich that will melt in your mouth as you bite into it.😋
Provided by: EasyRecipesCooking.com
Categories: Main Course
Total time: 60 minutes
Prep time: 30 minutes
Cook time: 30 minutes
|5 fresh tomatoes (, chopped)|
|1- 28 oz can crushed tomatoes|
|1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil (, olive oil, canola, or vegetable oil)|
|1 large yellow onion (, chopped)|
|1 Poblano pepper or bell pepper ((any color), chopped)|
|8 cloves garlic (, minced)|
|1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes|
|1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper|
|Kosher salt (, to taste)|
|3 teaspoons dried oregano|
|2 cups hot water|
|1 tablespoon sugar|
|2 bay leaves|
|1 Chile Ancho|
|1 Chile Guajillo or Chile California|
|1 Chile Pasilla|
|3 Chile Arbol (optional ( For a spicier sauce))|
|1 packets sazon goya culantro y achiote|
|1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon knorr chicken flavor bouillon (adjust to taste)|
|1 store-bought rotisserie chicken (,Disassemble the chicken into large pieces or leftover turkey from Thanksgiving)|
|8 or more large hoagie (, submarine, bolillo rolls, or french rolls, as needed)|
|1 small cabbage (, shredded or 16 leaves remain lettuce (left whole))|
|1 bunch of Watercress or Cilantro|
|2 cucumbers (, unpeeled and sliced in thin slices)|
|8 radishes (, thinly sliced)|
|1 cup mayonnaise (, to taste)|
|1 large white or red onion (, cut in half, and thinly sliced)|
|1 cup yellow mustard (, to taste)|
- Heat the olive oil over medium-high heat in a large saucepan. When hot, add the chile arbol, chile guajillo, Chile Pasilla, and chile ancho and saute, frequently stirring, for 1 to 2 minutes or until the oil begins to turn a bit orange from the chiles; remove them from the pot with a slotted spoon and set aside.
- Add the garlic, fresh tomatoes, poblanos pepper, and onion, and cook over medium-low heat until the vegetables soften, occasionally stirring about 10 to 12 minutes. Return the chiles into the saucepan, add the crushed canned tomato, rinse the can with 2 cups of hot water, and add the water to the pan; season with chicken bouillon and sazon goya culantro y achiote, sugar, black pepper, and red pepper flakes to taste.
- Bring to a boil and immediately reduce heat to low, stirring and constantly scraping the bottom of the pan.
- Using an immersion blender or a standard blender, process the mixture in batches until smooth enough for your taste. (If using a standard blender, take care not to fill the jar more than half full per batch, leave the hole in the lid open, and cover with a clean dishtowel to allow the heat to escape), and pour it back into the saucepan.
- Add the disassembled bone-in rotisserie chicken and bay leaves to the saucepan to help the sauce develop more flavor, and bring the sauce to a simmer and cook, occasionally stirring, until it has deepened in color and reduced slightly, about 30 to 45 minutes (if the sauce begins to scorch, lower the heat). The sauce is done when the sauce is thickened and no longer watery.
- Taste and adjust the season with salt and pepper, if needed. Remove the bay leaves along with the chicken and set aside until the chicken is cool enough to handle. Shred into bite-size pieces using your hands or two forks, discarding the bones, and return the meat to the pot and stir to combine.
- How to Assemble Pan con Pollo
Calories 417 kcal, CarbohydrateContent 31 g, ProteinContent 21 g, FatContent 25 g, SaturatedFatContent 4 g, TransFatContent 0.04 g, CholesterolContent 56 mg, SodiumContent 827 mg, FiberContent 8 g, SugarContent 13 g, UnsaturatedFatContent 17 g, ServingSize 1 serving
Salvadoran chicken or turkey sandwiches.
Provided by: EasyRecipesCooking.com
Prep time: 1 hours
Cook time: 3 hours
Yield: 8-12 people
|For the Meat|
|Salsita with Knorr® Chicken Flavor Bouillon Granulated Bouillon – 2.2 lbs|
|5 lbs Chicken Leg Quarters or 1 Medium Turkey|
|1/2 cup Mustard|
|1/2 cup Worcestershire Sauce|
|2-3 La Morena® Chipotle Peppers in Adobo, diced|
|1/2 tsp sauce from La Morena® Chipotle Peppers in Adobo|
|1/2 cup Olives|
|1 cup Pineapple Chunks|
|1.5 tbsp Capers (or more to taste)|
|2 Cucumbers, peeled & sliced|
|2 Large Tomatoes, sliced|
|4-6 radishes, sliced|
|1 bunch of Watercress|
|Bolillo Rolls (can be subbed for French rolls)|
- Thaw meat overnight in the fridge. Bring the chicken thighs to room temperature for 30 minutes. If preparing turkey, bring to room temperature (covered, of course), for at least 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Prepare the Salsita per instructions.
- In a large roasting pan, slather the meat with mustard, Worcestershire sauce, and chipotle adobo sauce.
- Toss in the pineapple, olives, capers, and chipotles.
- Tuck a few pieces of pineapple, olive, caper, and/or chipotle under the skin as well.
- Pour the salsita over the meat, making sure to lift it and get underneath each piece.
- Cover the roasting pan with foil and roast for 2 hours. If you’re preparing turkey, make sure to baste intermittently!
- After 2 hours, remove the foil and roast for another 20-30 minutes to slightly brown the skin.
- Remove from the oven and shred! You should be able to do this with a fork. Keep it all in the sauce and ladle it onto toasted bolillo.
- Everyone makes their sandwich differently, so platter out your sides and let everyone serve themselves!
This recipe is traditional because it goes down to my roots. It is a chicken sandwich with french bread. A mixture between cabbage and mayonnaise topped off with a special tomato sauce.
Total time: 2 hours 30 minutes
Prep time: 30 minutes
Cook time: 2 hours
Yield: 8 serving(s)
|10 French bread|
|1 large carrot, grated|
|1 chicken (5 to 6 lbs.)|
|1/2 head cabbage, finely shredded|
|3 carrots, peeled and shredded|
|1/2 onion, thinly sliced lengthwise|
|1 teaspoon crumbled dried oregano|
|1/2 cup mayonnaise (to taste)|
|1/2 cup mayonnaise|
|16 thin slices ripe tomatoes|
|1/2 cucumber, thinly sliced|
|8 radishes, sliced|
- 1. Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Turn off heat and stir in cabbage and carrots; let stand for 2 minutes then drain in a colander. Rinse well with cold water, then squeeze dry.
- 2. Place shredded cabbage and carrots into a large bowl along with the onion, oregano, and mayonnaise. Mix together until you have a mixture resembling coleslaw. This is the curtido.
- 3. To prepare sandwiches, lightly spread each roll with mayonnaise and pile with meat. Place a scoop of curtido on top of the CHICKEN, and finish with sliced tomatoes, cucumbers, watercress and radishes.
- all bread is cut in half as pictured above and is put little mayonnaise, some cabbage, tomato, cucumber, radish, then the piece of chicken, watercress and lettuce. You can also use a turkey instead of chicken breast.
Calories 431.3, FatContent 10.7, SaturatedFatContent 3, CholesterolContent 42.5, SodiumContent 497, CarbohydrateContent 62.6, FiberContent 7.5, SugarContent 12.5, ProteinContent 23.4