While teaching in a one room schoolhouse off the coast of Maine, I became good friends with one of the lobster fisherman’s wife. She passed on her version of baked beans. I serve it with either homemade steamed brown bread or cornbread (have posted both recipes). This is a favorite Saturday night meal along with apple pie for dessert.
Provided by: EasyRecipesCooking.com
Categories: Other Main Dishes
Prep time: 30 minutes
Cook time: 6 hours
|1 pound(s) dried beans (jacob’s cattle beans are the best)|
|1 medium onion, quartered|
|1/4 pound(s) salt pork|
|2 tablespoon(s) sugar|
|1/2 cup(s) dark molasses|
|1 teaspoon(s) dry mustard|
|1/4 teaspoon(s) pepper|
|3/4 tablespoon(s) salt|
- Rinse beans and pick over to make sure there are no stones. Place in large bowl and cover with water (at least 1″ above beans). Let sit overnight.
- In morning, parboil the beans until the skins crack when blown upon (maybe 10-15 minutes).
- Cut onion into quarters and place in bottom of bean pot or a 4 quart casserole. Drain beans and pour over onion. Slice salt pork and lay on top of beans.
- Mix sugar, molasses, mustard, pepper and salt with 2 cups of boiling water. Pour over pork and beans. If necessary, add more boiling water until beans are covered.
- Bake, covered at 300 deg F for 6 hours, adding more boiling water as the beans cook (if necessary.
- Serve with steamed brown bread or corn bread.
NOTE: Beans can be cooked in crockpot but will be a bit more soupy. Not a bad thing. Just different.
BEANS: Jacob’s cattle beans are the best and I usually order 10# at a time online. They’re worth it. May also use kidney beans, red beans or navy beans (my least favorite).
What are marrowfat beans?
Though predominately consumed in casseroles and stews, the Marrowfat has a dual-purpose as it is also used as a fresh shelling bean. The Marrowfat plant produces four to five inch-long pods that are yellowish-white and contain 4 white, egg-shaped beans. The young flattened green pods are sweet and tender when young.
How do you make baked beans with Great Northern beans?
Mix bacon, beans, water, brown sugar, onions, ketchup, molasses, vinegar, mustard, salt, and garlic powder together in the prepared baking dish. Cover dish with aluminum foil. Bake in preheated oven until bubbling, 45 minutes. An excellent baked bean recipe using Great Northern beans! Get a full year for $5!
How do you cook bacon and beans in a pan?
Place bacon in a large skillet and cook over medium-high heat until crisp, about 10 minutes; drain and cool on paper towels. Crumble bacon once cooled. Mix bacon, beans, water, brown sugar, onions, ketchup, molasses, vinegar, mustard, salt, and garlic powder together in the prepared baking dish. Cover the dish with aluminum foil.
How long does it take to grow a marrowfat Bean?
The Marrowfat bean is a rare bush bean that was first popularized in the mid-1800s as a baking bean. They can be directly sown after the last frost and will reach maturity in 81-90 days. The plants reach 18-24 inches in height and have a white bloom.