A simple Stew made with ground beef, cabbage, onion, and spices.
Provided by: EasyRecipesCooking.com
Total time: 30 minutes
|2 TBSP unsalted butter|
|1 large onion, chopped|
|1 pound ground beef|
|2 TBSP tomato paste|
|1 tsp red pepper flakes|
|1 TBSP sweet paprika|
|salt & pepper|
|1 medium cabbage head, thick stem removed, washed and roughly chopped|
|2 cups water|
- Melt the butter in a dutch oven over medium heat.
- Add the onion to the pan and cook, stirring occasionally, about 3 minutes.
- Add the ground beef and cook until browned, breaking it up as it cooks, about 5 minutes.
- Add the tomato paste, red pepper flakes, paprika, and 1 tsp salt. Stir and cook 1 minute.
- Add the cabbage then pour in the water. Cover the pot and simmer, stirring occasionally, for 15 to 20 minutes or until cabbage is tender.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
A comforting combination of meat and greens to defy any preconceptions or negative memories you have of school time cabbage dishes. Slow-cooked meat in a rich slightly spiced red pepper sauce with a gently braised shredded white cabbage. Full of flavour that surprises even the most vehement of cabbage haters.
Categories: Meat ‘Et’
Cook time: 01 hours 45 minutes
Yield: 4 Person(s)
|2, Large ,Onions|
|250, Grams ,Lamb or Mutton cubes|
|200, Mililitres ,Water (1 ‘Su’ glass)|
|3, Tablespoons ,Stock concentrate or 1/2 stock cube|
|1, Tablespoons ,Sun-dried red pepper paste ‘Biber salçası’|
|1, Teaspoon ,(Heaped) Paprika|
|1, Small ,White Cabbage (Around a kilo), quartered and shredded.|
|, ,Aleppo pepper flakes ‘Pul biber’|
|, ,Dried mint|
|, ,Garlic yoghurt|
|, ,Lemon wedges|
- Cut the onion into crescents and cook covered in around 4 tablespoons of water and a drizzle of olive oil using low heat.
Once the onions are browned and begin to caramelise, turn up the heat and brown the meat for a minute or two.
Add the pepper paste / salça to the pan along with the stock, hot water and paprika.
Mix through well, cover and simmer for around an hour or until the meat pieces have cooked to tender.
Stir through and place the shredded/ Chopped cabbage on top of the meat, replace the lid and allow the cabbage to sweat until softened.
Combine the cabbage and meat by stirring through and serve warm with pul biber flakes and a squeeze of lemon juice.
For an extra lively kick strained (süzme) / greek yoghurt with mint or more red pepper flakes.
Kapuska – in translation something really delicious that`ll have you licking your plate clean.
Provided by: EasyRecipesCooking.com
Total time: 35 minutes
Prep time: 5 minutes
Cook time: 30 minutes
|cabbages – 1/2 head|
|mince – 10.5 oz (300 g) veal or lamb|
|onions – 1 large head|
|butter – 2 tbsp|
|oil – 2 tbsp|
|peppers – 1, red, fresh or dried|
|tomato paste – 1 tbsp|
|cumin – 1 pinch|
|paprika – 1 tsp|
|water – 1 2/5 cups (350 ml)|
- Clean, wash and chop the cabbage into medium-sized pieces. Dice the onions finely, cut the pepper into coarse pieces. Put a wide pot on the stove.
- Heat the stove to max. Put the butter with the oil in the pot, leave it to melt. Once heated, add the mince and break it apart into pieces with a spatula.
- Season with black pepper and cumin . Braise until it changes color, add the onions and fry 5 min. Stir, season with a pinch of salt and paprika to taste.
- Put 1 tbsp tomato paste and 3 1/3 tbsp (50 ml) warm water in a bowl, stir. Pour this paste into the pot, then add the cabbage and pepper.
- Pour in the water, put the lid on and lower the stove to medium. Leave covered for 20 min. to smother, while opening the lid and stirring every few min.
- After these 20 min., remove the lid completely and if theres any water left, cook a few more min. until reduced. The dish is ready once theres almost no liquid left on the bottom. Finally, upon serving, sprinkle with spicy chili flakes.