I forgot that I had this recipe until someone asked about it. Shaped and tastes like the Suzy-Q snack cakes (made by Hostess)!
Total time: 50 minutes
Prep time: 20 minutes
Cook time: 30 minutes
Yield: 20 serving(s)
|18 1/4 ounces devil’s food cake mix|
|1 1/4 cups water|
|1/3 cup vegetable oil|
|1 cup whole milk|
|5 tablespoons flour|
|1 cup granulated sugar|
|1 cup Crisco shortening|
|1/4 teaspoon salt|
|1 teaspoon vanilla, clear is best|
|powdered sugar, for dusting (optional)|
- In a large mixing bowl, beat together cake mix, water, vegetable oil and eggs until smooth.
- Pour into a greased and floured 13″ x 9″ pan and bake according to the package directions.
- When cake is cooled, remove from pan to flat surface and cut cake in half horizontally.
- To prepare filling, cook flour and milk in a saucepan over low heat until thickened; whisking often. Cool mixture COMPLETELY in refrigerator.
- While heated mixture cools, beat together sugar, Crisco, salt and vanilla. Add to cooled flour/milk mixture and beat until smooth and creamy.
- Spread filling on 1 half of cake. Place other half of cake on top and sprinkle with powdered sugar, if desired.
Calories 298.2, FatContent 19.1, SaturatedFatContent 4.3, CholesterolContent 33, SodiumContent 258.2, CarbohydrateContent 31, FiberContent 0.7, SugarContent 20.6, ProteinContent 3.1
What happened to hostess Suzy Qs?
Hostess’s latest Suzy Qs cake, re (re)released Tuesday, has soft, round edges, double the creme, and double the cake! Hostess Brands LLC The iconic cake was originally released in 1961, but it disappeared between 2012 and 2013 — along with all Hostess treats — when the company filed for bankruptcy.
How do you make a Suzy Q cake?
Mix butter, powdered sugar, fluff, and vanilla, on high speed until nice & fluffy. Cut cooled cake into rectangles. Cover half of rectangles with filling. Using a cake spatula, like this one, really helps a lot here! Cover with the other half. Sprinkle on a little powdered sugar, if desired. What is a Suzy Q?
What is a Suzy Q?
What is a Suzy Q? Suzy Q’s is the name of a popular packaged snack cake from Hostess, sold in the United States. I never saw them in Scotland and don’t know if you can buy them outside of the U.S.
Is Suzy Q’s snack cake making a comeback?
Fans of prepackaged snack cakes have yet another reason to celebrate this year. After retiring the original Suzy Q’s cake (and then bringing it back for brief but unsuccessful stint a few years ago), Hostess is bringing the snack back — and this time, they say, the cake will have same classic taste die-hard fans remember from the 1960s.