From the book, "Cranberry Thanksgiving" by Wende and Harry Devlin which we read every year growing up before making the bread. It’s a family favorite, great as gifts, and a wonderful memory from my childhood.
Total time: 1 hours 40 minutes
Prep time: 30 minutes
Cook time: 1 hours 10 minutes
Yield: 1 loaf
|2 cups flour, sifted|
|1 cup sugar|
|1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder|
|1 teaspoon salt|
|1/2 teaspoon baking soda|
|1/4 cup butter|
|1 egg, beaten|
|1 teaspoon orange rind, grated|
|3/4 cup orange juice|
|1 1/2 cups raisins, we don’t use raisins (optional)|
|2 cups fresh cranberries, coarsely chopped|
- Sift flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, baking soda together.
- Cut in 1/4 cup butter until mixture is crumbly.
- Add egg, orange peel, and orange juice and mix until mixture is evenly moist.
- Fold in raisins and cranberries.
- Spoon into a greased 9 x 5 x 3 loaf pan.
- Bake at 350°F for 1 hour and 10 minutes or until toothpick in center comes out clean.
- Cool out of pan on a wire rack. keep stored in aluminum foil.
Calories 2343.6, FatContent 53.9, SaturatedFatContent 31.2, CholesterolContent 308, SodiumContent 3988.5, CarbohydrateContent 437, FiberContent 16.6, SugarContent 224.2, ProteinContent 34.7