A delicious summer mixed berry crisp made even better with cornflakes! They add a crunch and delicate corn flavor to the topping. Make this when summer berries are plentiful or in the winter with frozen berries. Either work great!
Provided by: EasyRecipesCooking.com
Prep time: 20 minutes
Cook time: 45 minutes
|6 cups (about 800 g) mixed berries, fresh or frozen|
|⅓ cup (63 g) light brown sugar|
|3 tablespoons (23 g) all purpose flour|
|½ teaspoon salt|
|1 lemon, zested and juiced|
|1¼ cups (150 g) all purpose flour|
|1½ cups (50 g) cornflakes, divided|
|½ cup (g?) light brown sugar|
|1 teaspoon cardamom ((or ½ teaspoon cinnamon, if you prefer))|
|½ teaspoon salt|
|½ cup (113 g) unsalted butter, cold ((1 stick))|
- Preheat oven to 375°F (190°C).
- Make the berry filling. In a large bowl, combine the berries, brown sugar, flour and salt. Gently stir to combine. Add the zest and juice of the lemon. Toss to combine. Transfer to an 8″ x 8″ baking dish or a 10-12″ cast iron skillet. Any vessel that is approximately these sizes and oven proof will work.
- Make the crisp topping. Wipe out your bowl. Combine the flour, cornflakes (reserve about ⅓ of the cornflakes), brown sugar, cardamom and salt. Stir to combine. Cut the cold butter into ½” pieces. Add the butter to the dry ingredients. Rub the butter into flour, using your fingertips and thumbs. Some of the cornflakes will get crushed, which is fine. Once the mixture is crumbly and able to hold together in clumps when squeezed, you’re good.
- Add the remaining cornflakes and gently toss into the topping, taking care not to crush them. Pile the crisp topping onto the berries.
- Bake until the fruit is bubbly and the topping is golden brown, about 45-50 minutes. Serve warm with vanilla ice cream, whipped cream, custard or cream.
How do you make Cornflake crumbs?
Squeeze the extra air out of the bag, and seal it. Roll a rolling pin over the bag, or gently pound it, to coarsely crush the cornflakes into crumbs. Use the coarse cornflake crumbs as a coating or for making pie crusts. Multiply the amount of cornflake crumbs needed in a recipe by three, to determine the amount of cereal to use.
Are corn flakes crumbs the same as bread crumbs?
Keep in mind that corn flake crumbs will be crunchier than bread crumbs. They will also have a slightly different taste. Ingredients for homemade corn flake crumbs. Place 2 cups of corn flakes cereal in a Ziploc one-gallon bag and seal the bag. Roll the rolling pin over the bag filled with corn flakes.
How do you calculate Cornflake crumbs for pie crust?
Use the coarse cornflake crumbs as a coating or for making pie crusts. Multiply the amount of cornflake crumbs needed in a recipe by three, to determine the amount of cereal to use. For instance, if the recipe requires 1/3 cup cornflake crumbs, start with 1 cup cornflakes.
How do you make jam with cornflakes and butter?
Heat the butter, syrup and sugar in a small pan with a pinch of salt, stirring frequently, until melted and smooth. Fold in the cornflakes to coat in the butter mixture. Spoon the jam into the cooked pastry base, then level the surface.