This is Dominican style beef stew perfect for a hearty meal. It's also how we make bistec encebollado if you leave out the tomato paste!
Provided by: EasyRecipesCooking.com
Categories: Budget-Friendly,Comfort Food,Dairy-Free,Shellfish-Free,Full Meal,Egg-Free,Winter,Fish-Free,Peanut-Free,Tree Nut-Free,Sugar-Free,Stove
Total time: 3600S
|2 pound Beef|
|4 clove Garlic|
|1 teaspoon Dried Oregano|
|2 teaspoon Chicken Bouillon Powder|
|1 teaspoon Light Soy Sauce|
|2 teaspoon Onion Powder|
|1 pinch Ground Black Pepper|
|2 tablespoon Cooking Oil|
|1/2 Cubanelle Pepper|
|1/2 Red Bell Pepper|
|4 tablespoon Tomato Paste|
|to taste Fresh Cilantro|
- Cut the Beef (2 pound) into 1 inch pieces.
- Juice the Lime (1).
- Crush the Garlic (4 clove) using a garlic press or mortar and pestle. Combine with Dried Oregano (1 teaspoon).
- In a large bowl, add beef and season with Chicken Bouillon Powder (2 teaspoon), Onion Powder (2 teaspoon), Ground Black Pepper (1 pinch), lime juice, Light Soy Sauce (1 teaspoon), and the garlic-oregano mixture. Mix together until all the ingredients are well blended. Marinate overnight for better flavor, but it's not necessary.
- In a large pot over medium high heat, add Cooking Oil (2 tablespoon) and allow to get hot. Add beef and cook uncovered for 5 minutes. Lower heat to medium, give it a stir and cover and cook until the meat absorb its own juices.
- When there are no more juices in the pan, add water 1/2 cup at a time and continue cooking the meat covered until is tender. If the meat is still not tender after it has absorbed the water, continue adding water and repeat until tender.
- Slice the Onion (1/2).
- Slice the Cubanelle Pepper (1/2).
- Slice the Red Bell Pepper (1/2).
- Chop the Fresh Cilantro (to taste).
- Once the beef is tender, add onion, cubanelle pepper and red bell pepper and stir to combine. Add Tomato Paste (4 tablespoon) and enough water to make a stew-like gravy consistency, then stir to blend everything well. Cover and cook for 3-5 minutes.
- Turn off heat and stir in Cilantro ( to taste). Serve with rice and enjoy!
Calories 107 calories, ProteinContent 12.2 g, FatContent 5.4 g, SodiumContent 122.1 mg, SaturatedFatContent 1.6 g, TransFatContent 0.1 g, CholesterolContent 39.2 mg, CarbohydrateContent 3.0 g, FiberContent 0.5 g, SugarContent 1.2 g, UnsaturatedFatContent 3.7 g
Provided by: EasyRecipesCooking.com
Total time: 3 hours 30 minutes
Prep time: 30 minutes
|12 cups water|
|2 lbs beef shanks with bone|
|1 bulb of garlic (head of garlic)|
|2 bay leaves|
|2 to 3 tablespoons salt|
|4 white potatoes, chopped into 1 inch cuts|
|3 Serrano chiles, roughly chopped|
|1 small white onion, diced|
|4 carrots, sliced thick|
|3 ears of corn, cut into 9 pieces|
|4 cups green cabbage, cut into 1 inch pieces|
|1/2 cup chopped cilantro|
|16 corn tortillas, if desired|
|1 large lime, cut into wedges, if desired|
- In a large, heavy pot, add 10 cups water, beef, garlic, bay leaves, and 1 1/2 tablespoons of salt. Bring to a boil, skimming the top when needed. Cover, reduce heat and continue cooking 1 1/2 to 2 hours or until the meat becomes tender.
- In a blender, add the Serrano chiles, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 cup water, blend until smooth, set aside.
- Once meat becomes tender, remove bay leaves and bulb of garlic. Add potatoes to the pot, along with the onions, carrots and corn. Add the remaining 2 cups water, taste the broth for salt and season to taste. Bring up to a boil, reduce heat and continue cooking until potatoes are fork tender.
- When potatoes are tender, remove the corn and meat from the soup, transfer to a large bowl, cover to keep warm.
- Add cabbage and 1/4 cup of cilantro to the soup. Cook for just another 15 to 20 minutes, until cabbage becomes tender, but is still crisp. Remove soup from heat and let sit for 15 minutes. Warm the corn tortillas on a hot comal or griddle and keep warm in a tortilla warmer.
- Divide the soup into 8 bowls. Add corn and some of the meat to each bowl. Garnish with lemon wedges, cilantro, and Serrano salsa for some added spice.
- Serve with warm corn tortillas, if desired.
ServingSize 1 Serving