Provided by: EasyRecipesCooking.com
Total time: 20 minutes
Yield: Four servings
|4 6-to-8-ounce blackfish fillets, skin attached|
|Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper to taste|
|2 to 4 teaspoons olive oil|
|3 tablespoons sherry vinegar, or more as needed|
|3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil|
|2 tablespoons mixed chopped fresh parsley, chives and chervil (or any 2 of them)|
- Scrape off any remaining scales and season the fillets on both sides with salt and pepper.
- Heat 2 to 4 tablespoons of olive oil in a large pan or skillet over medium heat, using the smaller amount of oil for a nonstick pan. Add the fillets and adjust the heat according to their thickness. (The thicker the fillet the lower the heat.) If your pan is not large enough to hold all the fillets without overcrowding, saute them in two batches, adding more oil if necessary for the second batch. Cook the fillets for about 4 minutes altogether for a 1/2-inch-thick fillet, turning them halfway through the cooking time (or covering them if fragile), and transfer them to hot plates or a hot platter.
- Wipe the oil out of the pan with a paper towel and add the vinegar, extra-virgin olive oil and the herbs. Return the pan to the heat and bring the sauce to a rapid boil for half a minute. Remove from the heat. Season with salt and pepper to taste, spoon over the blackfish fillets and serve immediately.
@context http//schema.org, Calories 317, UnsaturatedFatContent 14 grams, CarbohydrateContent 1 gram, FatContent 18 grams, FiberContent 0 grams, ProteinContent 37 grams, SaturatedFatContent 3 grams, SodiumContent 533 milligrams, SugarContent 0 grams
I found this recipe on www.nyseafood.org after buying some fresh Blackfish from a market in Newport Beach, RI. Blackfish is also known as Tautog, and is firm bodied and mild flavored, somewhat like Sea Bass. The chowder is thick, creamy, and a little sweet. Try using needle-nose pliers to pull out the Blackfish bones. You’ll want to get them all before you cut up the fish. Ironically, I can’t find Blackfish near my home, so I substitute Sea Bass. It works well. Let me know if you find another fish that works.
Total time: 50 minutes
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 40 minutes
Yield: 6 serving(s)
|1 lb blackfish fillet|
|4 slices bacon|
|1/2 cup onion, chopped|
|1 cup red potatoes, raw,diced|
|2 cups water|
|1/4 cup flour|
|1/2 cup clam juice|
|1 (13 ounce) can evaporated milk|
|3 tablespoons butter|
|1 teaspoon salt|
|1/4 teaspoon white pepper|
- Rinse fish and pat dry.
- Cut into bite sized (1/2 inch pieces) and set aside.
- In a small skillet sauté bacon until crisp.
- Remove bacon, blot excess fat with paper towels, crumble and set aside.
- Discard bacon dripping except for approximately 2 tablespoons.
- Add onions and sauté in bacon fat until tender but not brown.
- Transfer onions to a deep saucepan and add potatoes and water.
- Cover and bring to a gentle boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add fish and simmer for about 10 more minutes or until fish and potatoes are done.
- In a small bowl combine flour and clam juice and stir with a fork until smooth.
- Add to fish and potato mixture stirring constantly to blend flour into cooking liquid.
- Stir in evaporated milk, butter and salt and pepper to taste.
- Continue heating over medium heat until chowder thickens.
- Garnish with crumbled bacon before serving.
Calories 209.4, FatContent 12.9, SaturatedFatContent 7.3, CholesterolContent 36.7, SodiumContent 628.2, CarbohydrateContent 17.7, FiberContent 0.9, SugarContent 1.6, ProteinContent 6.2
How to cook Blackfish fillet?
Rinse blackfish fillet in cold water and pat dry with paper towels. Mix spices in a small bowl and cover the fish entirely. Heat butter on the skillet (it has to be very hot) and place fish in it. Cook for 4 minutes on one side and than for another 3 minutes on another side. Move to the plate and squeeze some lemon on top.
How do you cook fish in spice mix?
Instructions Combine Spice Mix in a shallow dish and mix. Coat both sides of the fish fillets with the Spice Mix, shaking off excess. Heat oil in a large heavy based skillet over medium high heat. Add fish and cook until the rub turns black, then flip and cook the other side until the fish is cooked to your taste. (Note 2) Serve immediately.
How to cook blackfish tautog?
You bake blackfish, grill, saute, pan sear and pan fry. Tautog is also great in chowders. This tautog recipe is very easy and takes only about 15 minutes to complete. Start with rinsing blackfish fillet with cold water. Pat dry with paper towels and set aside. Prepare the spice mixture.
How to cook fish in a pan with butter?
Directions. Dip each fillet into butter, turning once to coat both sides. Sprinkle both sides of fillets with spice mixture, and gently pat mixture onto fish. Place fillets into hot pan without crowding. Carefully pour about 1 teaspoon melted butter over each fillet. Cook until fish has a charred appearance, about 2 minutes.