Find more fantabulous recipes, tips and tricks at www.thekitchenwhisperer.net. Also, join our TKW Family on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest and Instagram
Provided by: The Kitchen Whisperer
|1 tablespoon olive oil|
|1/2 cup chopped yellow onion|
|1/2 cup chopped fresh banana peppers, stem and seeds removed|
|1 tablespoon minced garlic|
|6-ounces tomato paste|
|28 ounces can tomato puree|
|1 teaspoon oregano|
|1 teaspoon parsley|
|1 teaspoon salt|
|1/2 teaspoon pepper|
|1/2-3/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes|
|1-2 teaspoon sugar|
- In a saucepan over medium heat, add the oil. When the oil starts to shimmer add the onions and banana peppers and cook for 3-4 minutes.
- Add in the garlic, stir and cook for 2 minutes. Next add in the tomato paste, stir to incorporate and cook for 3-5 minutes or until you can “smell” the tomato paste start to warm up.
- Add in the rest of the ingredients and stir to combine. Bring to a low boil and reduce the heat to a simmer.
- Cook for 30 minutes stirring occasionally. Taste and adjust for seasonings. At this point, you can leave chunky or for a smoother consistency use an immersion blender.
- Store in a sealed container in the fridge.
ServingSize cup, Calories 282 calories, SugarContent 32.5 g, SodiumContent 697.4 mg, FatContent 6.1 g, SaturatedFatContent 0.9 g, TransFatContent 0 g, CarbohydrateContent 54.5 g, FiberContent 11.4 g, ProteinContent 12.1 g, CholesterolContent 0 mg