If you love bacon and you love bean salad, then this is right up your alley. I know I love it. Why didn’t I think of putting bacon in bean salad before? Well, at least we have it now.
Total time: 40 minutes
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 25 minutes
Yield: 6-8 serving(s)
|1 (15 ounce) can blue lake green beans|
|1 (15 ounce) can garbanzo beans or 1 (15 ounce) can chickpeas|
|1 (15 ounce) can dark red kidney beans|
|6 thick cut slices bacon|
|1 yellow onion, chopped|
|2 tablespoons chopped fresh garlic|
|1/2 cup apple cider vinegar|
|1/4 cup vegetable oil|
|2 teaspoons cornstarch|
|2 teaspoons coarse ground mustard|
|1/2 cup brown sugar|
- Drain and rinse canned beans in a colander.
- Cook bacon in a large skillet until crisp; set aside. Reserve bacon grease in skillet.
- Add the chopped onion and garlic to the skillet and cook until light golden.
- While onion cooks, whisk together the vinegar, oil, cornstarch, mustard and brown sugar.
- Stir dressing into skillet with the onions and cook, stirring, until mixture thickens. Allow to cool slightly.
- Place beans in a salad bowl and add crumbled bacon.
- Stir cooled dressing into beans, cover and chill several hours or overnight.
Calories 403.4, FatContent 14.1, SaturatedFatContent 2.6, CholesterolContent 5.4, SodiumContent 310.6, CarbohydrateContent 59, FiberContent 10.7, SugarContent 21.2, ProteinContent 12.4
I got this recipe from my aunt and made a couple of changes to suit our tastes. With ground beef and bacon mixed in, these satisfying beans are a big hit at backyard barbecues and church picnics. I’m always asked to bring my special beans. —Julie Currington, Gahanna, Ohio
Provided by: EasyRecipesCooking.com
Categories: Side Dishes
Total time: 01 hours 20 minutes
Prep time: 20 minutes
Cook time: 60 minutes
Yield: 12 servings.
|1/2 pound ground beef|
|5 bacon strips, diced|
|1/2 cup chopped onion|
|1/3 cup packed brown sugar|
|1/4 cup sugar|
|1/4 cup ketchup|
|1/4 cup barbecue sauce|
|2 tablespoons molasses|
|2 tablespoons prepared mustard|
|1/2 teaspoon chili powder|
|1/2 teaspoon salt|
|2 cans (15 ounces each) pork and beans, undrained|
|1 can (16 ounces) butter beans, rinsed and drained|
|1 can (16 ounces) kidney beans, rinsed and drained|
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a large skillet, cook and crumble beef with bacon and onion over medium heat until beef is no longer pink; drain., Stir in sugars, ketchup, barbecue sauce, molasses, mustard, chili powder and salt until blended. Stir in beans. Transfer to a greased 2-1/2-qt. baking dish. Bake, covered, until beans reach desired thickness, about 1 hour.
Calories 269 calories, FatContent 8g fat (2g saturated fat), CholesterolContent 19mg cholesterol, SodiumContent 708mg sodium, CarbohydrateContent 42g carbohydrate (21g sugars, FiberContent 7g fiber), ProteinContent 13g protein.
How do you make bean salad at home?
Add the bell pepper and onion to the beans. In a small bowl, combine the vinegar, oil, sugar, salt, and pepper; whisk until smooth. Pour the dressing mixture over the vegetables and then toss gently to coat. Toss the salad until the ingredients are thoroughly coated with the dressing. Cover and chill for at least 4 hours.
How do you make bean salad with peppers and onions?
Peel the red onion and slice it thinly. Add the bell pepper and onion to the beans. In a small bowl, combine the vinegar, oil, sugar, salt, and pepper; whisk until smooth. Pour the dressing mixture over the vegetables and then toss gently to coat. Toss the salad until the ingredients are thoroughly coated with the dressing.
What do you put on a green bean salad?
For the dressing: In a large bowl, whisk to combine the olive oil, red wine vinegar, lemon juice, salt, and black pepper. Add the cooled green beans, cannellini beans, kidney beans, celery, red onion, and parsley to the bowl with the dressing. Toss well to combine and serve.
What kind of beans do you use to make a salad?
In this video, we’ll show you how to make a salad with three varieties of beans. We use green, wax and kidney beans and toss them in a sweet and sour dressing.