More of a main dish, this zesty soup can be varied by adding sliced zucchini or other veggies. Other garnishes, such as lower fat sour cream, chopped tomatoes and shredded cheese could also be added at serving time.
1 tsp vegetable oil (5mL)
1 cup (180g) chopped onion
1 tsp (2g) oregano
1/2 tsp (1g) chili powder
1 tsp (2g) cumin
1 clove garlic, minced
4 cups (1L) chicken broth
1 cup (240mL) water
1 cup (240mL) tomato sauce
1 can (15 ounce, 425g) garbanzo beans
1 cup (150g) corn kernels (frozen or fresh)
2 cups (300g) white meat chicken, cut into 1-inch (2.5cm) cubes
2 cups (55g) tortilla chips, reduced fat
1/3 cup (15g) cilantro, chopped
1. Heat the oil in a large soup pot. Add onion and sautÃ© until tender.
2. Add oregano, chili powder, cumin, and garlic, and sautÃ© for one minute more.
3. Add chicken broth, water, tomato sauce, and corn, and cook for about 15 minutes more.
4. Add chicken pieces and garbanzo beans and bring the soup to a boil.
5. Reduce heat and simmer for about 10 more minutes, until the chicken pieces are completely cooked.
6. Ladle into bowls and place about 1/3 cup tortilla chips (20g) on top of the soup. Sprinkle cilantro on top of the tortilla chips and serve.
Total Fat: 4g
% Calories from fat: 16%