Rich Italian flavor without the fat. Serve with a whole grain bread and salad for a complete meal.
2 tsp (10mL) olive oil
4 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 cup (90g) onions, chopped
3 cups (270g) mushrooms, sliced (1/2 pound)
1 tsp (1g) Italian seasoning
29 ounces (825g) chicken broth (two 14.5-ounce cans)
12 ounces (340g) roasted red peppers (one jar), blended
12 ounces (340g) tortellini, cheese-filled (fresh or frozen)
1. In a large pot, heat olive oil. Add garlic and onions, sautÃ©ing for 2 minutes.
2. Add mushrooms and sautÃ© until golden brown.
3. Stir in Italian seasonings and chicken broth.
4. While broth is heating, place roasted red peppers and their liquid in a food processor or blender and process until smooth.
5. Add pureed peppers to chicken broth and bring to a boil.
6. Stir in tortellini and cook uncovered until tortellini is done (about 4 to 8 minutes).
Total Fat: 9g
% Calories from fat: 23%